Do you have an adult child still living at home, long after you expected them to move out?
Are you having trouble getting your adult child to maintain employment or help out around the house?
Does your adult child spend a lot of time playing video games, or hanging out with friends instead of working or going to school?
Because of over-protective parenting, societal and economic changes, as well as technological advancements, today’s young adults, are struggling with a phenomenon known as “Failure to Launch” syndrome. While not a medical diagnosis, “Failure to Launch” syndrome refers to young adults who have struggled or failed to transition into adulthood.
Young adults with this syndrome may lag behind their peers in completing schooling or maintaining employment. They may still live at home and spend an inordinate amount of time on social media or playing video games. If your adult child lacks confidence, has little to no work ethic and lacks goals or motivation, they may be suffering from Failure to Launch syndrome. Other symptoms include entitlement, social anxiety, low tolerance for stress, and failure to assume adult responsibilities.
If any of this resonates with what’s going on in your life…
- You or your adult child fails to maintain employment or stay in school
- You or your adult child is anxious, depressed or lacks motivation
- You or your adult child seem like they keep trying but can’t sustain themselves long enough to succeed
- You or your adult child is still living at home
- You need to help motivate your adult son or daughter to finish school or improve their grades
- You or your adult child take setbacks in life particularly hard
… then individual therapy or family therapy with a Licensed Psychologist can help.
Therapy and structure can help young adults successfully transition into adulthood. Group or individual therapy can help them identify underlying causes for the issues they struggle with and find new and positive ways to cope with and overcome these difficulties.
If you or your adult child is struggling with Failure to Launch syndrome, Dr. Arthur can help.